Is It Worth Getting a Heated Pool?
It’s finally happened – the weather is getting warmer!
And if you’re anything like us, that means it’s time to jump back in the pool.
There’s no doubt that a heated pool can transform your swimming experience, year-round, extending the enjoyment of your pool well beyond the summer months. While to many it may seem like an expensive luxury, the benefits of a heated pool are undeniable – and often more cost-effective and accessible than most people think.
In today’s article, we’ll explore the range of factors to consider when deciding if a heated pool is worth it for you and your household, the options available for heating your pool, the most efficient and cost-effective heating methods for doing do, the potential drawbacks, and what steps to take if you’ve already started to considering a heated pool experience.
Ready? Let’s get cracking.
What factors should I consider if I’m interested in a heated pool?
Before you decide to invest in a heated pool, it’s essential to consider the key factors related to its suitability:
- Desired swimming season: Think about how much time you want to spend in your pool and at what temperature. A heated pool allows you to swim comfortably even when the weather turns cooler, potentially extending your swimming season
- Comfort and enjoyment: Heating your pool to a comfortable temperature, typically between 24-30 degrees Celsius, enhances your swimming experience and provides a relaxing oasis in your backyard
- Adding value to your investment: A heated pool can increase the value of your property, making it a more attractive asset for potential buyers
Once you get to the point of deciding if a heated swimming pool is for you, it’s time to consider your options for the ways in which you can get that warmth happening.
What are the options for heating a pool?
As you might imagine, several options are available for heating your pool, each with its own specific advantages and disadvantages. We’ll stick with four main categories for today and explore the pros and cons for each:
- Solar pool heating: As you might imagine, solar heating makes use of the power of the sun in order to warm your pool. It involves pumping pool water through tubes or collectors mounted on your roof. Solar pool heating is wonderful for the environment and can extend your swimming season by several weeks each year. What’s more, installing solar panels or collectors on your roof can have a huge range of benefits for other systems in your home
- Pool heat pumps: Pool heat pumps operate by drawing in heat from the outside air and transferring it to the pool water. They are energy-efficient and suitable for a range of climates. While they have higher upfront costs, they are cost-effective to run in the long term
- Gas heating for your pool: Gas heaters are known for their ability to quickly heat pool water regardless of external temperatures. They are reliable and convenient but come with higher operational costs. While initial installation expenses can vary depending on your pool size, it’s important to note that gas alternatives are, by far, the least environmentally friendly
- Pool covers: Pool covers are a cost-effective, passive way to reduce heat loss in your pool caused by evaporation. While they won’t actively heat your pool as effectively as other methods, they can complement your heating system and help you retain additional warmth, year-round
What is the most efficient way to heat a pool?
Amongst the available pool heating methods, pool heat pumps are generally considered the most efficient.
These amazing devices use the ambient air outside your home to warm the pool water, making them both energy-efficient and cost-effective. Pool heat pumps can also operate in a much wider temperature range, extending your swim season quite significantly and letting your rest easy knowing you’re not costing the environment while you take the plunge.
One of the most amazing things about heat pumps is that they can be integrated and/or automated with many other electrical systems in your home. This makes them not only a super-efficient but super-practical option for levelling up in your household.
What is the cheapest way to heat a pool?
If you’re looking for the most budget-friendly option for heating your pool year-round, solar pool heating is often the cheapest option for many homeowners.
This kind of pool heating system relies on using the sun’s energy and thus has relatively low running costs once the initial setup is complete. While it can understandably include some limitations based on weather conditions, solar heating is a cost-effective choice for many pool owners.
Struggling to determine whether solar or heat pump pool heating is for you? Our team can help you decide! With just a few easy questions, we’ll help you make the right decision for you and your household – just give us a call on 1300 766 940.
What are the downsides to a heated pool?
While heated pools offer numerous benefits such as those we’ve already discussed, it’s essential to consider potential drawbacks too. This will help you make a balanced decision!
- Initial costs of installing pool heating: The upfront investment for pool heating systems can be significant, depending on the method you choose
- Ongoing operating costs of your chosen method: Some heating methods, like gas heaters, can result in higher monthly operational expenses
- Weather dependency: Solar pool heating relies on sunny days, and heat pumps are less effective in very cold climates
- Installation and space requirements: Certain heating systems, like solar collectors, may require additional space on your property.
So – what should you do now?
Where to next?
If you’ve decided that a heated pool could be worth the investment, it’s time to take action. Our incredible team can work alongside you to help you make the right call.
Just start here with our list of suggested next steps:
- Choose the right heating method: Consider your climate, budget, and preferences to select the heating method that suits your needs. If you’re unsure, our team can help you – just give us a call on 1300 766 940
- Installation: Arrange for the installation of your chosen heating system by a trusted, professional team. If you need suggestions for installers, our friendly G Store team would be happy to advise
- Maintenance: Many pool-owners initially forget that proper scheduled maintenance is important in order to keep your heated pool functioning exactly as it was designed for years to come…and finally:
- It’s time to enjoy your swim: Dive into your warm, inviting pool and make the most of your extended swimming season throughout the year!
Finding the decision to be a bit tough?
Rest assured that a heated pool will not only provide year-round enjoyment for you and your household, but also enhance your property’s value for decades to come. By weighing the costs, benefits, and drawbacks, you can make an informed decision about whether a heated pool is worth it for you.
Ready to learn more about the options you have for heating your pool?
We can’t wait to chat with you.