For many people, the warmer Victorian months bring with it a wave of emotion. Just how hot will your home get? And those epic 40-degree Victorian summer days? Awful.
A home that heats up like an oven, retaining heat for days to come? Even more awful. At G Store, we understand that efficient cooling of your home doesn’t need to cost the earth. That’s right – you no longer need to choose between your comfort or a guilt-free, piping-hot home in the height of summer.
In the contemporary market, there are a huge variety of quality air conditioner systems and units available – something to suit your exact needs, specifications and budgets. In this article, we’ll unpack answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding how to choose the best air conditioner for your specific circumstances.
Different types of air conditioners
The main types of air conditioners available in Victoria include:
- Split-system air conditioners (can heat/cool, depending on the season)
- Multi-split system air conditioners (also with heating/cooling capacity)
- Ducted air conditioning systems (can heat/cool specific zones in your home)
- Evaporative cooling systems (energy-efficient and gaining popularity)
- Hydronic heating/cooling systems (the most energy-efficient option on the market)
- Portable air conditioners (okay for smaller spaces but largely energy-inefficient)
How do I choose the right air conditioner for me?
To determine the most suitable option for your specific needs and interest, we suggest looking at the following key factors:
- The dimensions of the space, room or dwelling you need to be cooled (e.g., single room or multiple rooms)
- The design of your building and whether or not a certain amount of space is required for installation
- Whether or not you have a set budget
- Your relationship to renewable energy and all-electric solutions over fossil fuel-related systems
- Your preference for particular design options
- Whether or not your home offers exterior access (e.g. for split-system installation)
You can learn more about the various heating/cooling options available to you in Victoria here, on our website.
Let’s take a look at some of the best and most efficient air conditioning options for specific circumstances:
The best air conditioner for a small space
Looking for the best air conditioner for your apartment in Victoria?
When it comes to cooling a small home, apartment, or a specific zone of your living space, split-system air conditioners are an excellent choice for homeowners of all needs and interests.
This popular type of air conditioning and heating/cooling system consists of two units:
- An external unit installed outside the building, and
- An oblong interior unit mounted high on an interior wall
For many people, homeowners and those in workplaces alike, a split-system air conditioner is the classic image that comes to mind when we think of air conditioning.
A split-system unit consists of two connected coils that contain a liquid refrigerant that circulates within the system. The evaporator unit maintains the role of absorbing heat from the room, while the condenser unit cools and pumps cold air into the indoor unit through insulated tubes. The tubes are usually installed so that they pass through a small hole drilled through your wall.
There are a number of key reasons why split-system air conditioners are particularly useful for small spaces:
- Firstly, because they can effectively cool and maintain the temperature within the confined area
- Split-systems also offer more direct control over specific spaces compared to ducted systems, making them a preferable option for smaller properties
- Because some of the best, contemporary split-system makes/models now have Wi-Fi capabilities, you can also maintain excellent temperature-related control over the environment you live in
- What’s more, split-system units from reputable brands like Panasonic, LG, Fujitsu, and Mitsubishi offer aesthetically pleasing designs that seamlessly integrate with any interior style – including the Panasonic nanoeX that also filters your air!
At G Store, we take pride in stocking only the best, most efficient and highly-regarded air conditioner and HVAC solutions on the market. For an obligation-free discussion on what could work best for you, please call our award-winning team at 1300 766 940.
Options for heating/cooling a larger home
If you need to cool or heat multiple rooms or a larger living space across your home, a multi-split system air conditioner could be the right choice for you and your household. This kind of system involves the use of several indoor units connected to a single outdoor unit or compressor. The best thing? Its design eliminates the need for difficult-to-install and often costly ducting.
One of the best things about multi-split air conditioning systems in Victoria is that they offer individualised control of multiple spaces. What’s more, it’s also possible to service various apartments within a level of a building, running the individual interior units of a single exterior unit installed in an appropriate location.
Here’s another great thing about multi-splits: being of such a skilled and flexible design, they offer individual uses the flexibility to adjust temperatures accordingly. Do your kids like sleeping at a different temperature while you complete your evening emails in a warm-and-cosy home office, just down the corridor?
With multi-split system air conditioners, individual preferences are no hurdle to a beautifully controlled and comfortable home.
Multi-split systems are also known for their whisper-quiet operation, energy efficiency, and particularly attractive designs – especially those units made within the last number of years as their popularity in Victoria has skyrocketed.
Try this: choose an conditioner solution that’s efficient – like hydronic heating and cool
For optimal energy efficiency and cost-effectiveness in both heating and cooling, you and your household may like to consider a hydronic heating and cooling system. This kind of heating and cooling system, commonly chosen during the construction of a new house due to its extensive possibilities for underfloor installation, utilises the transportation of warm or cool water through piping installed under the floor.
Hydronic systems excel in terms of energy-efficiency because they only require a few degrees of temperature difference between the system and the desired room temperature. As a result, they operate with an impressively minimal energy consumption.
Here’s another impressive feature: hydronic heating and cooling systems are generally less susceptible to air leaks and other obstacles that may hinder the performance of split and multi-split systems.
Before deciding on the best heating and cooling option for your home, it’s worth addressing any issues with window seals or air leaks that may affect passive cooling. This will help your home stay beautifully cool in summer and cosy-warm during winter no matter what heating and cooling system you decide on.
When it comes to air conditioning solutions for your home, there’s a number of important factors to take into account – each of which depend on your specific circumstances, needs, and requirements as a home or business-owner. Whether you opt for a split-system, multi-split, ducted, or hydronic system, each has its advantages and is suitable for different scenarios.
We look forward to helping you make the best-possible decision for your needs.